Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Does CBA do anything right?

To be fair to the CBA - they do some things right. More than anything I want to say that the quality of banking in Australia is shockingly bad, but this is a global phenomena. I recall a few years ago paying $120 to transfer $3000 to Australia before I discovered Lloyds Bank TSB was offering a service for $10-20.

So what is CBA doing right? Firstly I am not requiring banks to act as a charity, nor do I have any problem with banks making great profits. Personally I dont even mind them running 50% of the economy if they could be trusted to act with integrity.

Anyway, here are some things that spring to mind:
1. Pre-packaged stock: The CBA Group was encouraging the young and old alike to invest in a package of stocks it had bundled together. That struck me as a clever advertising campaign.
2. International transfers: The CBA has developed a $20 international funds transfer service which is pretty easy to use. It would have been nice for them to beta test the service because my bank did not receive the funds. But they did refund me. Why? Japanese banks are not nationally integrated and their service had no capacity to input the branch number or address. Sadly I missed out on buying a property in Japan. They were slow to get back to me. Nope...no return service in a day...more like a week.
3. Commonwealth Securities: The CBA was a leader in their shift to stockbroking. I suspect they picked up alot of business as a result. Their online software was ok, though the software they developed was pretty shit. Pro-Trader charting was shit and they wanted $70/quarter for the privilege, though free if you traded alot as I did. Really I only wanted it for the straight-thru processing of orders.
4. Commonwealth Funds Management: I dont see anything wrong with the way this business division operates. They target individuals and employees through corporate clients. Don't know if there are any kick backs? It seems to be how alot of the world works. So one needs to have a healthy level of cynicism.

No comments: