Tuesday, January 22, 2008

CBA work culture

Based on my experiences at the CBA, I have come to think about why the organisation has a culture like it does. I have no specific recollection of the service at a branch level, and the replies I get from staff are always polite. Though they always seem to be a week too late. There must be a culture at CBA that saids email inquiries are less important than telephone or facsimile. Frankly they provide an email service option, so shouldn't I feel compelled to use it. They offer to reply in a day.

Anyway its been a long time since I banked with NAB, and it seems a generally social consensus that banks offer bad service, and consumers just accept that this is how it should be. People will say, why dont you just change banks. But the problem is - to whom? NAB, CBA. I'm running out of 'full service' banks that provide international banking and broking services.

But it makes me reflect on the culture. Is this organisational culture a legacy of its previous government ownership. Does the CBA function like a bureaucracy? Maybe the top executives are imports, but are they frustrated dealing with the legacy of work cultures developed before? Hmm...dont know. But actually I have always found the staff polite and helpful. I think its the senior executives. Afterall, they are responsible for the system failures, poor training, etc.
I wonder whether they were outside appointments or former bureaucrats that finally floated to the top?

No comments: