Tuesday, January 22, 2008

CBA not the only bad bank - I think just the worst

From the outset I want to be fair to CBA. They are not the only bank to offer shit service. I think they are just the worst. Before the CBA, I used the National Australia Bank (NAB). Here is an experience I had with the NAB.

When I was at university some 20 years ago I went to the NAB Neutral Bay ATM branch to withdrawal funds. I was a student living on meagre funds at the time. I appeared to have a little more money than I expected, from memory $40 instead of $20. Thought nothing of it, and withdrew the bulk of it. I was low on funds, but I was very soon expecting a income tax refund from my part-time job at Pizza Hut.

I was glad to have received my Aust Tax Office (ATO) cheque and went to the NAB to cash it, as I needed the money to go to university. I knew an ATO cheque was as good as cash to a bank. When I got to the branch, they told me my account was frozen. I wondered why. They said I had overdrawn the account. Now I immediately reflected on the $20 that was put in my account that I suspected should not have been there. I said I have a ATO refund cheque for some $400, that should clear the overdrawn amount of just $20. They said I would have to contact head office.
Well I was annoyed. It was there mistake and I was being put out. I had no money and I had to go to university lectures. So I said stuff! I'm going to go open an account with the CBA with my ATO cheque in hand.

So NAB shareholders should reflect on this. The implication of offering me bad service was:
1. They lost a great customer because I use my bank for alot of share trading as well as having a considerable amount of funds on deposit.
2. They lost $20 - I taxed the NAB for my inconvenience
Sorry shareholders - in a sense you deserved it. And you probably bank with them. Suckers!
Hmmm...maybe I should have more empathy. Nope....I feel particularly screwed by banks.
But then, on the other hand I have heard such bad things about banks over the years. For example:
1. Westpac was accused of leading farmers into risky Swiss currency loans and hedging instruments which went awry, without properly explaining the risks
2. Banks have been closing branches without any regard for client needs.
Anyway, I think we get the picture. Alot of people have a poor regard for banks. You get the sense that the feeling is mutual - that banks have little regard for banks.

No comments: